By Phil Tiemeyer
Read Online or Download Plane Queer: Labor, Sexuality, and AIDS in the History of Male Flight Attendants PDF
Best gender studies books
This quantity lines the social historical past of African American males from the times of slavery to the current, targeting their achievements, their altering picture, and their position in American society. the writer locations the modern factor of Black men's disproportionate involvement with legal justice inside of its social and historic context, whereas studying the main major pursuits aiming to enhance the prestige of Blacks in our society.
As lifestyles spans increased dramatically within the usa after 1900, and employers more and more demanded the rate and stamina of minor within the place of work, males struggled to maintain identities as staff, breadwinners, and patriarchs—the middle beliefs of twentieth-century masculinity. Longer existence threatened manhood as males faced age discrimination at paintings, vital retirement, and stuck earning as recipients of Social defense and office pensions.
During this shiny new heritage, Phil Tiemeyer information the heritage of fellows operating as flight attendants. starting with the founding of the career within the overdue Nineteen Twenties and carrying on with into the post-September eleven period, airplane Queer examines the heritage of fellows who joined offices typically pointed out as female-oriented.
Displaying how gender historical past contributes to latest understandings of the second one international battle, this ebook deals element and context at the nationwide and transnational studies of guys and ladies throughout the battle. Following a normal creation, the essays shed new mild at the box and illustrate tools of operating with a variety of basic assets.
- Multicultural Research: Race, Class, Gender and Sexual Orientation
- Familienpolitik als Determinante weiblicher Lebensverläufe?: Die Auswirkungen des Erziehungsurlaubs auf Familien- und Erwerbsbiograpien in Deutschland (German Edition)
- Späte Mutterschaft - ein neues biographisches Muster? (German Edition)
- Missing: Half the Story: Journalism as if Gender Matters
- The Intersectional Approach: Transforming the Academy through Race, Class, and Gender
- Women in Political Theory
Additional resources for Plane Queer: Labor, Sexuality, and AIDS in the History of Male Flight Attendants