By Frances M. Ashcroft
Ion channels are membrane proteins that act as gated pathways for the stream of ions throughout telephone membranes. They play crucial roles within the body structure of all cells. in recent times, an ever-increasing variety of human and animal ailments were discovered to outcome from defects in ion channel functionality. each one of these ailments come up from mutations within the genes encoding ion channel proteins, and they're now known as the channelopathies.
Ion Channels and Disease offers an informative and updated account of our current figuring out of ion channels and the molecular foundation of ion channel illnesses. It incorporates a simple advent to the appropriate facets of molecular biology and biophysics and a quick description of the relevant tools used to review channelopathies. for every channel, the connection among its molecular constitution and its useful houses is mentioned and ways that genetic mutations produce the affliction phenotype are considered.
This ebook is meant for learn staff and clinicians, in addition to graduates and complicated undergraduates. The textual content is obvious and vigorous and assumes little wisdom, but it takes the reader to frontiers of what's presently recognized approximately this most enjoyable and medically very important region of physiology.
- Introduces the appropriate elements of molecular biology and biophysics
- Describes the imperative tools used to review channelopathies
- Considers unmarried sessions of ion channels with summaries of the physiological function, subunit composition, molecular constitution and chromosomal position, plus the connection among channel constitution and function
- Looks at these ailments linked to faulty channel constructions and rules, together with mutations affecting channel functionality and to what volume this transformation in channel functionality can account for the medical phenotype
Read or Download Ion Channels and Disease: Channelopathies (Quantitative Finance) PDF
Best biophysics books
Membranes are crucial mobile organelles. They not just outline cells and different organelles, but in addition are serious within the mobilephone functionality through selectively regulating the passage of molecules through appearing as a matrix for different signaling molecules, and as conduits of data move among the exterior surroundings and the mobile inside.
Biosensors are moveable and handy units that let the quick and trustworthy research of gear. they're more and more utilized in healthcare, drug layout, environmental tracking and the detection of organic, chemical, and poisonous brokers. Fractal Binding and Dissociation Kinetics for various Biosensor purposes specializes in parts of increasing biosensor improvement that come with (a) the detection of organic and chemical pathogens within the surroundings, and (b) biomedical purposes, specifically in healthcare.
This ebook presents an plentiful insurance of theoretical and experimental state of the art paintings in addition to new tendencies and instructions within the biometrics box. It deals scholars and software program engineers a radical figuring out of ways a few middle low-level development blocks of a multi-biometric procedure are carried out.
Bioceramics: houses, Characterization, and purposes can be a normal advent to the makes use of of ceramics and glasses within the human physique for the needs of assisting, therapeutic, correcting deformities, and restoring misplaced functionality. With over 30 years adventure, the writer constructed the textual content as an outgrowth of an undergraduate direction for senior scholars in biomedical engineering and may emphasize the basics and purposes in glossy implant fabrication, and also will care for tissue engineering scaffolds made from ceramics.
- Mechanosensitive Ion Channels, Part A: 58 (Current Topics in Membranes)
- Quadruplex Nucleic Acids (Topics in Current Chemistry)
- Protein Physics: A Course of Lectures (Soft Condensed Matter, Complex Fluids and Biomaterials)
- Claudins (Current Topics in Membranes)
- Irreversibility and Dissipation in Microscopic Systems (Springer Theses)
- In silico Modeling and Experimental Validation for Improving Methanogenesis from CO2 via M. maripaludis (Springer Theses)
Additional info for Ion Channels and Disease: Channelopathies (Quantitative Finance)