By Ágnes Buka,Nándor Éber
The e-book intends to provide a cutting-edge review of flexoelectricity, a linear actual coupling among mechanical (orientational) deformations and electrical polarization, that is particular to platforms with orientational order, comparable to liquid crystals.
Chapters written through specialists within the box make clear theoretical in addition to experimental elements of analysis performed because the discovery of flexoelectricity. along with a standard macroscopic (continuum) description the microscopic idea of flexoelectricity can also be addressed. Electro-optic results because of or converted by way of flexoelectricity in addition to quite a few (direct and oblique) size tools are mentioned. exact emphasis is given to the position of flexoelectricity in pattern-forming instabilities.
While the main target of the publication lies in flexoelectricity in nematic liquid crystals, peculiarities of different mesophases (bent-core structures, cholesterics, and smectics) also are reviewed. Flexoelectricity has relevance to organic (living) structures and will additionally supply percentages for technical purposes. the fundamentals of those interdisciplinary fields also are summarized.
- Introduction to Flexoelectricity: Its Discovery and uncomplicated thoughts (R B Meyer)
- Molecular concept of Flexoelectricity in Nematic Liquid Crystals (M A Osipov)
- Flexoelectro-optics and Measurements of Flexocoefficients (N V Madhusudana)
- Flexoelectricity of Bent-core Molecules (A Jákli, J Harden and N Éber)
- The function of Flexoelectricity in trend Formation (Á Buka, T Tóth-Katona, N Éber, A Krekhov and W Pesch)
- Flexoelectricity in Chiral Polar Smectics (M Čepič)
- Flexoelectricity in Lyotropics and in residing Liquid Crystals (A G Petrov)
- Applications of Flexoelectricity (P Rudquist and S T Lagerwall)
- Appendix A. Measured Flexoelectric Coefficients of Nematic Liquid Crystals (N Éber)
- Appendix B. Abbreviations
Readership: Graduate scholars and researchers in physics, biology and their applications.
Read or Download Flexoelectricity in Liquid Crystals:Theory, Experiments and Applications PDF
Similar biophysics books
Membranes are crucial mobile organelles. They not just outline cells and different organelles, but additionally are severe within the phone functionality through selectively regulating the passage of molecules via appearing as a matrix for different signaling molecules, and as conduits of knowledge move among the exterior surroundings and the telephone inside.
Biosensors are moveable and handy units that allow the quick and trustworthy research of gear. they're more and more utilized in healthcare, drug layout, environmental tracking and the detection of organic, chemical, and poisonous brokers. Fractal Binding and Dissociation Kinetics for various Biosensor functions specializes in parts of increasing biosensor improvement that come with (a) the detection of organic and chemical pathogens within the surroundings, and (b) biomedical functions, specifically in healthcare.
This ebook offers an abundant insurance of theoretical and experimental cutting-edge paintings in addition to new traits and instructions within the biometrics box. It bargains scholars and software program engineers an intensive realizing of ways a few middle low-level development blocks of a multi-biometric procedure are applied.
Bioceramics: houses, Characterization, and purposes could be a common advent to the makes use of of ceramics and glasses within the human physique for the needs of assisting, therapeutic, correcting deformities, and restoring misplaced functionality. With over 30 years adventure, the writer built the textual content as an outgrowth of an undergraduate path for senior scholars in biomedical engineering and should emphasize the basics and purposes in smooth implant fabrication, and also will take care of tissue engineering scaffolds made from ceramics.
- Polarized Light and Polarization Vision in Animal Sciences (Springer Series in Vision Research)
- Soft Matter: The stuff that dreams are made of
- Synergetics of Molecular Systems (Springer Series in Synergetics)
- Membranes: Materials, Simulations, and Applications
Extra resources for Flexoelectricity in Liquid Crystals:Theory, Experiments and Applications