By Gerard Loughlin
- Discusses a variety of movies, together with the Alien quartet, Christopher Nolan’s souvenir, Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: an area Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange, Nicolas Roeg’s the guy Who Fell to Earth and Derek Jarman’s The Garden.
- Draws on a variety of authors, either historic and glossy, spiritual and secular, from Plato to Levinas, from Karl Barth and Hans Urs von Balthasar to André Bazin and Leo Bersani.
- Uses cinema to contemplate the church as an ecclesiacinema, and movies to contemplate sexual hope as erotic dispossession, as a fashion into the lifetime of God.
- Written from a noticeably orthodox Christian standpoint, without delay either Catholic and critical.
Read or Download Alien Sex: The Body and Desire in Cinema and Theology (Challenges in Contemporary Theology) PDF
Similar film & video art books
Many monsters in Victorian British novels have been in detail attached with the protagonists, and consultant of either the non-public failings of a personality and the flaws of the society during which she or he lived. in contrast, newer movie diversifications of those novels depict the creatures as arbitrarily conducting mindless violence, and recommend a contemporary worry of the uncontrollable.
During this insightful ebook, certainly one of America's best commentators on tradition and society turns his gaze upon cinematic race relatives, analyzing the connection among movie, race and tradition. Norman okay Denzin argues that the cinema, like society, treats all individuals as equivalent yet struggles to outline and enforce range, pluralism and multiculturalism.
Within the moment version of the assumption of Nature in Disney Animation, David Whitley updates his 2008 publication to mirror contemporary advancements in Disney and Disney-Pixar animation reminiscent of the apocalyptic story of earth's failed surroundings, WALL-E. As Whitley has proven, and Disney's most modern movies proceed to illustrate, the messages lively motion pictures exhibit in regards to the flora and fauna are of an important significance to their baby audience.
Final Stands from the Alamo to Benghazi examines how filmmakers educate americans concerning the country’s army previous. reading twenty-three consultant warfare movies and finding them of their cultural and armed forces panorama, the authors argue that Hollywood’s view of yankee army historical past has advanced in levels.
- Promises of Citizenship: Film Recruitment of African Americans in World War II (Race, Rhetoric, and Media Series)
- The Philosophy of the Coen Brothers (Philosophy Of Popular Culture)
- Film Remakes and Franchises (Quick Takes: Movies and Popular Culture)
- Dinosaur Theory: uncovering a new approach to screenwriting
- Documents of Utopia: The Politics of Experimental Documentary (Nonfictions)
- World War I on Film: English Language Releases through 2014
Extra resources for Alien Sex: The Body and Desire in Cinema and Theology (Challenges in Contemporary Theology)