By Richard Gray
- The so much accomplished and up to date heritage of yankee literature to be had today
- Covers fiction, poetry, drama, and non-fiction, in addition to different kinds of literature together with folktale, spirituals, the detective tale, the mystery, and technology fiction
- Explores the plural personality of yankee literature, together with the contributions made via African American, local American, Hispanic and Asian American writers
- Considers how our realizing of yank literature has replaced over the past?thirty years
- Situates American literature within the contexts of yankee historical past, politics and society
- Offers a useful creation to American literature for college kids in any respect degrees, educational and basic readers
Read or Download A History of American Literature PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
A westerner writing approximately Istanbul "comes up opposed to the Orient as aEuropean or American first, as a person second," writes Edward acknowledged. the yankee writers amassed during this assortment are approached from thewilled double point of view endorsed by way of stated: as traditionally and culturallypositioned and as participants.
Seminar paper from the yr 2009 within the topic English Language and Literature reports - Literature, grade: 1,0, college of Trier, path: the yank movies of Alfred Hitchcock, language: English, summary: 1. IntroductionIt used to be most likely Psycho´s expressionistic interaction among song, mise en scène and tale telling which remotely jogged my memory of Martin Scorsese´s Taxi driving force, a movie I had written approximately earlier than, that fostered my selection to put in writing concerning the movie that's by way of many thought of to be Alfred Hitchcock´s masterpiece.
Bernard Shaw shaped public pictures of himself that belied the character and intensity of his emotional reviews and the complexity of his highbrow outlook. during this soaking up biography, famous Shavian authority A. M. Gibbs debunks a number of the parts that shape the root of Shaw's self-created legend--from his formative years (which was once now not the loveless adventure he claimed publicly), to his sexual relationships with numerous ladies, to his marriage, his politics, his Irish identification, and his debatable philosophy of artistic Evolution.
This assortment explores how the issues and contradictions of Irish-Caribbean kinfolk are a lot richer and deeper than formerly famous. Caribbean Irish Connections makes a huge contribution to Irish stories by way of tough the dominance of a US diasporic background and a disciplinary specialise in cultural continuity and ancestry.
- Norman Mailer (Bloom's Modern Critical Views)
- Nueva Granada: Paul Horgan and the Southwest (Tarleton State University Southwestern Studies in the Humanities)
- Henry Miller: New Perspectives
- American Fiction in Transition: Observer-Hero Narrative, the 1990s, and Postmodernism
- A Companion to the Harlem Renaissance (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
- The Edge of the Swamp: A Study in the Literature and Society of the Old South
Extra resources for A History of American Literature